Donate Now

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Friday 8 July 2016

Over 1 Year Later

A year on from the earth quake people are still struggling to return to normal lives in Nepal. Many whose homes were destroyed are still living in tents and under tarps. They have endured both the monsoon season and then a cold winter living under little more that plastic sheeting.

I am preparing to return to the Himalayas. I will not be going to Sikkim. I will be going to Nepal. This time I will not be searching for a valley of flowers. I will be basing myself in Kathmandu and volunteering 3 months of my time to work for charity focused on improving housing and clean water supplies damaged in the 2015 earthquake and aftermath in the Gorkha areas of Nepal.  

Prior to my departure I am attempting to raise £2350. This money will go directly to the charity. It is not to fund my trip over there. 

In order to raise this money I am going to live in a tent for 3 months prior to my departure.  I will have no electricity or water facilities in my accommodation. 


I won’t go so far as to live under a tarp for three months. I done it for a night or two but I am not so brave as to commit myself to this for three months. I will take a relatively cowardice approach. Whilst the UK is not particularly known for its balmy summers I will not have to endure freezing temperatures or monsoon conditions. I will still be trying to maintain my professional job during this period.  I will have real access to any supplies, medical treatment and comforts should I require are at my doorstep. There is no real barrier to me returning to normal life. Unlike those in Nepal the choice is mine to make on a voluntary basis.  Compared to what those are suffering in Nepal my experience will be nothing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment